2013年9月23日月曜日

Beauty & Pure 46

The answer keeps in line with the former one: “Meditation is sticking to one thought. That single thought keeps away other thoughts; distraction of mind is a sign of weakness. By constant meditation it gains strength, that is to say, its weakness of fugitive thought gives place to the enduring background free from thoughts. This expanse devoid of thought is the Self. Mind in purity is the Self.” (Talks, 293).

Another question: “Shall I meditate on ‘I am Brahman’?”
(‘I am Brahman’ is one of the four Great Sayings or Mahavakyas of the Upanishads.)
“The text is not meant for thinking ‘I am Brahman’. ‘I’ is known to everyone. Brahman abides as ‘I’ in everyone. Find out the ‘I’. The ‘I’ is already Brahman. You need not think so. Simply find out the ‘I’!” (Talks, 266).

The same question turns up repeatedly.
“ ‘I am Brahman’ is only a thought. Who says it? Brahman himself does not say so. What need is there for Him to say it? Nor can the real ‘I’ say so, for ‘I’ always abides as Brahman. To be saying it is only a thought. Whose thought is it? All thoughts are from the unreal ‘I’, i.e., the ‘I’-thought. Remain without thinking. So long as there is thought there will be fear.” (Talks, 202).




0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿